Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Healthy Twist on Chicken Burritos



We've been careful the past few weeks about what we eat at home. Lots of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy dairy fill our refrigerator now. I know how to eat properly, but I don't always make an effort to do it. Amazingly, I have a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies in my freezer that hasn't been touched. I picked the wrong time to start being healthy! Those cookies are a highlight of my life every Spring, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that sentiment. But Thin Mint Cookies aren't exactly on our list of approved items to eat right now, and I would much rather feel better about myself than enjoy an entire box. You know I could do it, too.

So in comes the healthy eating! We've been working out in the hot sun every day the past few weeks, trying to get a temporary garden ready so that we have somewhere to transplant our little seedling buddies. There's nothing better than working out in the heat and then coming inside for a dinner that is already prepared and cooling in the fridge. One wouldn't think cold chicken burritos would be anything to invite drool, but these are heavenly indeed. And did I mention how healthy they are?

It looks like a ton of ingredients, but just a few minutes in the produce section will find everything needed to make this recipe. It makes a big batch, but everything tastes so good together that a larger portion is easily justified. We ate it for dinner and lunch for two days before it disappeared. For a snack, I even tried it with tortilla chips and really enjoyed the extra crunch.

Healthy Chilled Chicken Burritos
makes about 16 servings

1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
4 Tomatoes, seeded and diced1 large Jalapeno Pepper, seeded, small diced
1 small Red Onion, diced
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Sweet Corn, drained
1 bunch Cilantro, stemmed and chopped
2 cups cooked Chicken (you could even use a rotisserie chicken, shredded)
2 cups cooked Basmati rice, cooled
2 Limes, juiced1/3 cup Olive Oil
1 cup Homemade Salsa
Salt and Pepper to taste

For assembly:
Tortillas
Sour Cream
Freshly-grated Cheddar Cheese
Lettuce
Guacamole
Homemade Salsa


Begin by combining all the veggies in a large bowl. Add the chicken, rice, olive oil, lime juice, homemade salsa, and salt and pepper until the taste is perfect. Cover tightly and place in the fridge for cooling so the flavors can get to know each other better. It's best to eat it the same day to enjoy the peak of the vegetable lifespan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...