Saturday, May 28, 2011

Time to Makeover...Time



I forgot to turn off Hubby's alarm clock this morning, so I was up and at 'em at 6:00 AM. Not a big deal, even though it's Saturday. I had a project on my mind and wanted to get started before the day made it too hot to spray paint.

That's right. No one followed the admonition of my mother to take the spray paint cans away from me. So I decided to makeover our huge wall clock that hangs in the future reading nook.

For those concerned, I did receive Hubby's permission before he left for his Scout camping trip last night. He said as long as I made marks for all the numbers (in addition to the wooden twelve, three, six, and nine that I had purchased at Michaels yesterday in anticipation of today's events), then I could spray to my hearts content.

Those are the magical words every wife longs to hear from her husband.

We bought this clock at Deseret Book just a few months after we were married. It was 80% off the original price, and I couldn't resist such a great deal. I admit it was mostly the sheer size of the clock that appealed to me...I wasn't too crazy about the writing or style. It had a cursive font saying, "Families are Forever." As much as I know that to be true, my house isn't exactly a cursive-type of place. And I didn't like the aged yellow background. In addition, I had seen the very same clock in several other homes that we visited. I like to be unique, not run-of-the-mill. Inevitably, a makeover on this clock was bound to happen eventually.

And then I discovered the awesomeness of spray paint. It was the perfect time to fix this guy. No pun intended.

The entire project took me less than an hour and a half. If you don't believe me, check the times on the clock!  Most of that was spent watching the paint dry. I can be so efficient when I'm awake this early on a weekend morning.

I lucked out by finding some white spray paint left over from when we moved in. I used my horse head green to add some color to the numbers. I then glued the numbers in place with Krazy Glue...those puppies could now survive a nuclear blast! I had to tweak the clock hands a little to allow them to easily glide over the much-taller wooden numbers now in place. Then I put the clock back together and hung it on the wall.

Which called for another photo shoot!

I really like it. I love how updated it feels. It changes the entire corner, which is exactly what I wanted. That clock has always felt out of place. It's nice to have it reflect our non-cursive lifestyle. And to be honest, it's a little confidence-booster to know that I can improve the appearance of things on the first try. Dang that dresser.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I like it! Definitely fits better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...suprized you didn't like the saying. You are an expert and that dresser is going to prove you are a professional expert :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your awesome projects! I need to do some fun things to update our home as well. I hope you guys are doing well. Love they way your home looks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...