Monday, October 15, 2012

Pigs in the City

IMG_3964

We have wonderful friends, and while I don’t always get pictures of such events, we love spending time with them.

Especially when Hubby discovers a new BBQ restaurant that sounds right up our alley! We called up Ann and Ted to let them know that we couldn’t try Porkopolis without them by our side. Luckily, they agreed.

Friends don’t let friends try new BBQ alone.

IMG_3966

Seriously, who could not love people who willingly stand in front of a Porkopolis sign to pose for a picture, and then offer to take a picture of us in front of the Porkopolis sign as well? Ted and Ann are our favorite people in Mesa. I’m just glad that they only live a few blocks away from us!

Porkopolis, on the other hand, was not just a few blocks away. We ended up driving about twenty minutes to get there for Date Night, just in time for half-price appetizers.

IMG_3967

In case you’re wondering, it was totally worth the drive. I love me some good BBQ, but we don’t often try it here in Phoenix. We aren’t exactly known for BBQ, you know? This particular restaurant just opened up in Chandler, which is on the southeast side of Phoenix and is about nine miles south of our home in Mesa.

I loved the interior decoration and was happy to see that this place was so packed. It makes me happy when wonderful restaurants thrive!

IMG_3968

The walls were adorned with some neat signs. Isn’t their logo awesome?!

IMG_3969

I love old-looking anything, so this sign was just wonderful. Look how they spell “Cincinnati” in the bottom-right corner! And, apparently, way back when, everyone gave directions like we women prefer to give directions! “It’s near Brighton House…” by that red building near the pretty rose bushes with the cat out front.

IMG_3970

The menu certainly didn’t disappoint, and I could feel us starting to salivate the longer that we read. I decided to order some fried pickles for the table to share, simply because that seemed like the right thing to do.

Because of their half-price promotion, we only paid $2.75 (you can check my math) for a whole basket of the little buggers!

For my meal, I ordered the BBQ nachos but switched out chicken for pulled pork. Everything is better with pulled pork. Do these nachos sound unique to you? The menu description wasn’t even close to what arrived at the table!

IMG_3972

These were awesome, but I was surprised that Hubby wasn’t a fan. I am not that into pickles myself but love them in small doses when they are in fried form such as this. The southwestern ranch dipping sauce only made them that much better.

IMG_3973

Ted and Ann split a three-meat platter and a few sides. I can’t say it enough how incredibly awesome the brisket was at this place…best I’ve ever had anywhere!

They also got some garlic mashed potatoes and baked beans. We all tried each others plates and enjoyed some lovely conversation to boot.

Good food…great friends. It doesn’t get much better than that!

IMG_3974 3

This was Hubby’s dinner…the two-meat platter of brisket and pulled pork with baked beans and garlic mashed potatoes. I didn’t intend to try a bite of his brisket (cough cough) but was glad that I did.

If for no other reason, go to Porkopolis just for the brisket! Wow!

IMG_3975

And finally, my “nachos.” I always think of melted cheese on tortilla chips, and the menu suggested that these were no different. But when they arrived, the chips were homemade kettle-fried potato chips with queso cheese on top. The pulled pork was delicious, but the rest of this dish threw me for a loop! It was still yummy…just different.

I am glad that the entire group helped me eat these. That’s what friends are for!

The whole evening was magical, thanks to BBQ and some great friends to accompany us. We really love Ted and Ann and feel so blessed to spend time with them. If smoked pigs happen to be involved, then all the better.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good!...ALL of it!: good food; date night; and wonderful friends!
    Happy for you, sis!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...