Friday, May 3, 2013

Greenwich Village on my Walk to Molly’s Cupcakes

IMG_9624

From the post title, you’re probably starting to wonder if I have a cupcake problem…

And I do. It feels good to get it out there.

I had already made an hour-long trip into the city on the bus, and even wandered around the Intrepid Air and Space Museum for a while.

Eventually, my stomach reminded me that lunch was our next priority.

IMG_9627

I was still on the west side of Manhattan, around 11th Avenue. So I decided to just walk south until something edible caught my eye.

In hindsight, I wish that I would have had a better plan. I got so hungry that I settled for not the healthiest option!

Oh well. This church is pretty, so that helps.

IMG_9628

They have actually chopped down some of the older living buildings, apparently to make room for new ones. Look how old this building in the left corner looks. Don’t you love it?

I was about to comment on how neat that old painted advertisement was towards the top…but it’s graffiti.

My bad.

IMG_9629

I’m still not quite sure what a “Pork Shop” entails, but I wholeheartedly agree with it.

Whatever it is. Probably a butcher? Stamp of approval, guys.

IMG_9630

Oh, Empire. I love you.

It was actually fun to walk on this side of town, since I had never visited this area before. I saw so many new and exciting things!

But seeing the Empire State Building reminded me of how happy I was to be in New York City today.

IMG_9631

But remember…we’re on the hunt for a place to eat lunch!

I love love love Mexican food. In fact, in an emotional moment during a dinner of homemade steak tacos last night, I even told Hubby that tacos are my favorite food in the world.

So I totally considered this Lucy’s Tacos for lunch today.

IMG_9632

And the menu looked pretty enticing, too. I was all over this place until I realized that it was a sit-down.

I just didn’t want to waste time at a sit-down today! I have too much to see!

But I probably would have gotten the tacos, just so you know. The Skirt Steak and the Carnitas.

Drool.

IMG_9633

So I foolishly left Lucy’s behind to find something quick and healthy.

While walking, I passed Penn Station. I’ve never been here before!

And now I really regret not going in to take a peek around.

Dang you, hunger! You make all of my bad decisions!

IMG_9635

I’ve never seen this before, either!

It’s Madison Square Garden, where concerts and sports and everything in between are played here in NYC.

It’s pretty small…

IMG_9634

I was blown away at the massive size of the Post Office across the street. They should hold concerts and basketball games here instead!

IMG_9638

Ooooo, this looks promising. And if I’m being indecisive today, I can have BBQ and burgers!

Bummer that this was a sit-down place as well. I decided to keep looking.

Much to the disappointment of my belly. I love BBQ!

IMG_9644

I finally found a fast place for lunch. I didn’t even read the name of the pizza shop until afterwards.

But I thought that pizza could be healthy fun, considering that I was in New York City and all.

IMG_9639

This sign confuses me, though. These pizzas are for display only? What do we eat?!

I would eat them. I’m just sayin’…

IMG_9640

These tiny garlic knots looked heavenly (and they were!).

Especially because he threw them in tin foil and then into the oven to heat up.

IMG_9642

I wish that I would have just ordered a few more of these for my lunch. They were that good!

IMG_9643

And I could have skipped the calzone. It was not very good, and I only had a few bites.

What a waste, after wandering so long being hungry!

IMG_9645

After some yummy bread, I was on my way back south. I had double-checked the distance and knew that my tired feet could make this next trek.

Cupcakes were at stake now. I only had 1.6 miles left to go, after already walking about a mile towards this place when looking for lunch.

By the way, cupcakes are totally justifiable if you walk more than three miles to get to one.

IMG_9646

I wandered south and passed through so many quaint and cool neighborhoods. I think that at some point I crossed over into Greenwich Village, but I don’t know when it started.

I didn’t feel any different, is what I’m saying.

IMG_9647

Little spots like this warm my heart because of the reminder of years gone by. It really puts things into perspective when you think about how long ago this tree was planted for it to just now be pushing up these ancient bricks surrounding it.

Maybe the Twenties? Thirties? I love imagining how old it is!

IMG_9649

Google has quite a presence here in Manhattan. I had no idea, but the building was massive.

I guess that they are doing OK?

IMG_9651

And this picture was fun because of all the fire escapes. That is one of the things often portrayed in movies based in this city, so it was nice to see so many in one shot.

And look at the cool gothic detail with the faces!

IMG_9652

No doubt that this men’s spa costs a fortune for them to afford such a neat building.

But, as you can see, if used to belong to the New York County for something. I can’t make out the rest!

IMG_9654

I walked down 8th Avenue until I turned onto Bleecher Street, which is where Molly’s Cupcakes is located. Even with the help of a phone, it was still hard to find!

But I passed this beautiful old entry to an apartment. Isn’t this fun? Could you imagine getting mail through that slot?

IMG_9657

These workers were prepping the building surface for a new advertisement. It looks like Grand Theft Auto to me, but I can’t imagine that they would need or want to advertise for a video game like that!

Especially in this part of town!

IMG_9658

This was a pleasant surprise…a view of the nearly-completed One World Trade Center in lower Manhattan.

They put the antenna on just this past week!

IMG_9659

I sat in this park to rest my feet. I’ve probably already done about five miles today, and it’s only lunch time! It feels good to sit down for a while and watch some kids play.

I’m so tickled that the weather has cooperated for my two days in the city!

IMG_9660

This place, The Garage, looked pretty cool. Anything transformed from an old car shop would make me happy, though.

IMG_9661

And I have actually eaten at the sister company of this Jekyll and Hyde with my sister when I came to visit her in NYC about thirteen years ago. We ate at the Times Square location, and I am just now remembering it now after seeing this pub!

How fun!

IMG_9664

At last, the bright yellow building came into view. My phone had thought that it was a block away still, so I was getting worried!

But how can you miss a bright yellow building like this?!

IMG_9665

The shop was cute and had plenty of sweet offerings. This place is famous and has always been on my must-try list!

Today is my day!

IMG_9666

Except how to choose when everything sounds so interesting!

IMG_9667

This place filled up right behind me. Lots of people figured out that it’s a nice way to warm up…with a cupcake in-hand.

Aren’t these bar stools cool? I’ve never seen anything like that!

IMG_9669

So I think that I ended up trying to Cake Batter Cupcake.

Maybe it was the frosting color that drew me in?

IMG_9670

Either way, I was surprised when I found a filling inside. I think that it was vanilla pudding, but I’m still not sure. It was good, but it made the cupcake even sweeter.

I’m just sayin’…yet again, and with the most humility possible: my cupcakes are better.

IMG_9673

The decorations were so creative and cute. They used ceiling medallions with homemade shelves to display antique lunch boxes.

The plastic bubble probably protects the precious lunch boxes from theft because, hey, it is New York City.

It’s been a nice walk so far today! Just a few more posts and our tour of NYC will be complete!

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...