Wednesday, June 17, 2009

So Sushi!


This may surprise everyone who reads this, but I need to get it off my chest. I LOVE SUSHI! Those who know me are aware of my intense distaste for anything from the ocean in general. Some things should not be eaten, plain and simple. But over the past twenty-four months, I have grown to absolutely love raw fish surrounded by flavorless rice and scum-of-the-water seaweed. It blows my mind to think what I have been missing all these years by crossing my arms and refusing to try anything that at one time had fins and swam happily along in salt water.

Perhaps I need to be more specific. I don't enjoy all forms of sushi. But I have come to passionately love one type in particular...shrimp tempura. Ok, ok. I realize shrimp tempura is cooked and does not contain fish. But for me to even try it a few years ago what miraculous! And I haven't regretted it since! There is a wonderful place near my sister's house called Pan Asia, which is a Chinese fusion and sushi restaurant. It was the same establishment we took my parents to for their first encounter with sushi about a month ago when they were in town for graduation. I found my favorite sushi roll then and was able to get it yesterday during lunch with my brother, Jeff, and my sister, T'liese.

Avocado. Cream cheese. Seaweed. Shrimp tempura. Fish eggs. Despite the last ingredient, this sushi roll is incredible! To top it all off with some great crunchy texture, they put Japanese bread crumbs, (or something I can't identify and probably am better off not knowing). I declare, this stuff just melts in my mouth. The only thing wrong with it is that it never seems to be a big enough portion! I take five bites and am done! Mix a little wasabi in some soy sauce for a dip, and I am in heaven! I have found out the hard way that there is such a bad thing as nasty sushi. If it smells like fish, it isn't going to taste good because that means it isn't fresh. I am a trooper and will try anything, but I usually go back to my faithful "Lisa Lisa" roll. Holy cow, I could go for some sushi right now. Luckily, I just found an ounce of self-control and will probably muster through the day without fulfilling my sushi craving. There is always tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. That was really a good meal!

    Maybe I just need to try a different kind of sushi to be convinced it's edible.

    Let's go again the next time we are in town, kay?

    XO
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...