Saturday, December 3, 2011

A-California-ing We Go!

I went to work this week. The call came around 5:30 PM on Monday night that we were going to be wheels-up just a few hours later. This only happened because I finally felt safe to run some errands with Hubby. We were at Walmart replacing a broken set of Christmas lights. We checked out so I could quickly get home to shower and pack. 

Big Boss showed up alone. We headed to Sacramento, California, my first time here. As we landed. a fog cloud moved in over the runway and cut the visibility quite a bit. It was the weirdest thing to have to report our landing to Tower because they couldn't see us! "Yep, we're down. Now how do we get to the ramp?!"

The next morning, the fog was still hanging around. It's amazing how much 1/2 mile visibility seems when you wake up to less than an 1/8! It took a few hours to blow off, and the calm wind didn't help at all. Big Boss showed up and had to wait almost an entire hour before things cleared enough to take off. I've found that if you tell him the truth in as few words as possible, he doesn't get as mad. Once we were airborne, just a short flight to Santa Rosa took us to some beautiful wine country.

We were hungry but knew Big Boss wouldn't be gone long. So we walked next door to the airline terminal for a delicious lunch next to the airplane ramp. A dream come true! I had a California Club to celebrate my present location, and I shared half my sandwich with Terry when his ordered crab cakes came out in a much smaller portion than we both expected.

Soon we were on our way again. The plan was to Oakland next, but Big Boss changed his mind at the last minute to skip Oakland entirely. I didn't mind, since the same fog was still hanging out in the entire Bay area. We flew over San Francisco and could barely make out the Golden Gate Bridge through the thick layers of clouds on the ground. It was pretty, but I was just glad I wasn't in it! We were soon landing at sunny Los Angeles. This is only my second time here at the main airport, LAX. After one of the local guys picked up Big Boss to run him around town, I waited in the lobby and watched airplanes take off. Then I spent a solid hour trying to arrange a rental car at our next destination. Since Big Boss wanted a tiny airport that closed at 6:00 PM, nobody wanted to provide him something to drive! Luckily, he surprised us by showing up early enough for the rental car to be waiting. We were soon on our way to Las Vegas next. It looks so pretty from the air at night!

Since he was alone and had three places to visit in the Sin City, I was setting up locations on his iPad while trying to explain to him how to use it. After a few minutes of directions with no success, he just said, "Well, why don't you just come with me?" So I hopped in the rental car with Big Boss and drove all over town looking at properties! We even bought me dinner at a drive-through restaurant. Can't beat that, huh? I felt bad leaving Terry to do all the work, but what can you say when Big Boss makes a request to be his navigator?!

We got back to the airplane around 8:00 PM and headed back to Phoenix. Surprise!

After landing at home, we helped the line guy by wing-walking our airplane into the hangar. Then we hopped in my car and drove home. Big Boss had meetings in town for the rest of the week, so I started to feel safe that I could stay home for a few days and work on some projects. I finished yesterday, and I'm so excited for the potential results! Only time will tell if my hard work this week paid off.

Phoenix - Sacramento/Mather - Santa Rosa - Los Angeles - North Las Vegas - Phoenix

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Micah! I love to hear your stories. Keep them coming. Love you!


Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...