Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Weekly Work, Day Four


Friday morning I was awakened by thunderstorms. It wasn’t a huge surprise, since they had been forecasted in the area. Being that it was February with thunderstorms was a little odd, but weather never ceases to amaze me.

IMG_2790  IMG_2791

Just when I think I have something figured out, it completely changes.


We were expecting the bad weather, and it only got worse at the one location Big Boss wanted to visit. He needed to get to Pensacola, but a huge line of thunderstorms was moving its way across the entire southern area of the country all morning.


So we climbed above the mess, dodging parts that were climbing faster than us.


And soon we were on our way to Florida. But a little further south than Pensacola…we went all the way to Ft. Myers! The storm didn’t reach that far south, and Big Boss had some work to do. So we landed without much hassle (only gusty winds were our companions for the landing, which had certainly been familiar to us for the entire week).


Our stop in Ft. Myers was a short one. We timed it right to land on Free Hotdog Day, so we grabbed lunch in the beautiful new FBO lobby. The gals behind the desk are dressed up like ladies from World War II. So cool! It certainly goes along with the real P-51 Mustang that hangs from the ceiling.

IMG_2800  IMG_2801

Another windy takeoff, and another windy landing…this time in Pensacola. It was my second time here, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t ask Ground Control for progressive taxi instructions to find the parking ramp.

IMG_2804  IMG_2805

They are there to help me, right? If I ask nicely enough, I have found that they are always willing to help me not get lost on the airfield.


That can get kind of embarrassing…the whole getting-lost thing. Not that I know from personal experience or anything…


This airport is very busy with military airplanes and helicopters of every kind. It made for an interesting few hours of waiting. Airplane-watching never gets old to me.

IMG_2811  IMG_2814

Unfortunately, there was a candy dish in the lobby. And, also unfortunately, I helped myself while paying for fuel.

IMG_2812  IMG_2810

After just a few hours here, we were on our way home. Thanks so winter headwinds, we couldn’t quite make it all the way home. We decided to stop in San Angelo, Texas for a quick-turn on fuel and coffee. I’ve stopped here before, and Ranger Aviation is fast! I had ordered a few pizzas to be waiting for the passengers while we fueled, and they even saved me a bite.

IMG_2817IMG_2816  IMG_2821

Just twenty minutes later, we were airborne once again and on our way home to Phoenix. I love coming up from the south, crossing San Simon (SSO) on our way to the SUNSS7 Arrival. We descended via the instructions on the arrival and soon found ourselves on final approach for Runway 25L.


This is the best place to land for us, since the taxi is a short two seconds from here. We simply turn off the runway and onto our parking ramp, where the Swift line guys are always happy to greet us home.


I unloaded some bags, took some pictures, got some hugs, and said some goodbyes.


Atlanta/McCollum – Ft. Myers – Pensacola – San Angelo – Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...