Sunday, August 1, 2010

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink


I have previously mentioned how grateful I am to my father-in-law. Let's start showing off what he got done on my new house this past week! As you can see from the "before" pictures, an ancient, four-inch stainless steel sink covered in hard water stains (despite scrubbing them last week) wasn't exactly my dream kitchen environment. All I had to do was purchase a Kohler Anthem Double-Bowl, Cast-Iron, 9-inch basin sink to fix that problem! The best thing? It is guaranteed to never chip, rust, or crack. This thing will last longer than my love for Pretzel M&Ms...as if that's possible.

I am not exaggerating when I say the sink weighs approximately fourteen tons. And it was just the two of us transporting it from Home Depot, since John was at working slaving away. What would it be like to have a real job?! Anyway, once we got the sink home and in the kitchen, the sink-dismantling process began. It literally took all day to install the sink, faucet, and new garbage disposal. We weren't planning on replacing the disposal (surprise!), but when we opened it up and saw the corrosion, I made the executive decision to throw it away. It's much better to replace it now since everything is torn apart. Mick also discovered that our shut-off valves under the sink do NOT shut off the water. He replaced those, and now they work. Look at all that calcium deposited in the old ones. Yuck! It's nice to have everything new and shiny and operating properly. I can't stop looking at it and touching its smooth surface. It's just so surreal to me that this is all happening!

I love my new sink and faucet. It's better than I could have imagined, and believe me when I say I have been imagining this for months! I am getting a brand-new kitchen for about $800 dollars and countless hours of manual labor. I am enjoying the process but am really looking forward to the end result! Isn't it pretty? I am glad the fourteen tons are in place and will never be moved again. And I can hardly wait to start cooking in this new kitchen!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:37 PM

    BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at pretzel m&ms...is there such a thing and where do I get them??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm back. :)

    Looking good already! Such a good feeling knowing that everything will work when needed and look great while doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...