Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Swimming in Caramel Never Tasted So Good



Many a memory came flooding back last week when I was able to eat at one of my favorite childhood eateries. Every time my dad was in town, we went bowling and played miniature golf at the 49th Street Galleria, which no longer exists, and then went to Leatherby's Family Creamery for a healthy dairy dinner. Maybe it was a good thing that dad only came to town twice a year?

This past Monday, Hubby and I arrived at my parents house around noon. My Mom was just headed out the door to pick up T'liese and Evan from the airport in Salt Lake City, which takes just over an hour to drive. She asked if I would come with her, and I readily agreed.

Does it matter that my main motivation for joining her was that they were heading to Leatherby's for lunch? No ones needs to know that truth, right?

We got to the airport just in time. After just ten short minutes of waiting in the cell phone waiting parking, we pulled ahead and loaded a pretty lady and a cute boy into the car. Then I sped as fast as the little Chevy Cavalier would allow to get us to Midvale for some lunch. I've never had a problem with setting the proper priorities.

Mom and I split our favorite sandwich, the Chicken Cashew on grilled sourdough. It's Oh-So-Good and extremely healthy because it contains celery. Their french fries are always perfectly salty and tend to disappear too quickly. Did I mention they come with Fry Sauce?! This wonderful concoction doesn't exist in Arizona. I almost moved when I found out. T'liese split a soup bowl with Evan, who mostly focused on some bananas and avocado provided by our server.

And then the real fun began when dessert arrived.

If you think it looks insane...you aren't far off. Leatherby's makes the best caramel sauce, hands-down. I always ask them to go a little crazy with my sundae when they are drizzling on the topping. I have yet to be disappointed! I decided to get vanilla ice cream so as not to interfere with the caramel, but I think I'll follow my sister's example next time and get their delicious toasted almond.

Did I mention they make all of their own ice creams fresh on-site every day? Can you hear that host of angels singing?!

Mom got her favorite, the Alan's Black and Tan (this was called Bart's Black and Tan when I was a kid...I think a divorce took place in the Leatherby's family!). The only downside to this dessert is that you have to dig for the hot fudge and caramel swimming at the bottom of the dish. She was a trooper, though, and displayed incredible stamina while enjoying two different types of ice cream, homemade whipped cream, and a cherry on top.

Just kidding. I ate her cherry. And T'liese's. Who knew that I was the only one at the table who loves maraschino cherries?! My lucky day!

It was such a treat to dine at a fun place that holds so many memories for me. Thankfully, I'm not willing to drive eleven hours any time I get a caramel craving. My Mom helped that out by buying me a jar to bring home (it's half-gone now, Mama, and rather delicious). I try to avoid bringing such gym-defying ingredients into my home, but I couldn't resist for such a special occasion.

What food location brings back memories for you?

2 comments:

  1. I.LOVE.THAT.CARAMEL! LOVE it. I used to get the caramel sundae after I had devoured their grilled cheese on sourdough bread. Dipped in fry sauce of course. Yum. So healthy. I am so making a trip there the next time I'm in Utah. Oh - and a restaurant that reminds me of my childhood is La Casita Mexican Restaurant in Springville. Their chile rellenos are to die for. If you haven't been there, make it a priority next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me that I have a jar of Leatherby's caramel in my pantry! I may have to crack that baby open later--YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...