Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Wildlife Encounter with Cows and Lions


Today will forever be remembered as my first photography gig! Thanks to my sister-in-law, Heather, who asked me to take pictures of her little munchkin, Kathryn, in her two adorable Halloween costumes. I am always looking for excuses to use my camera. Oddly enough, I felt nervous and inadequate as the day drew closer. What if the pictures don't turn out (out of 143 shots taken, I threw away 80 of them)? What if my battery dies (it did)? What if Kathryn just thinks I am a lunatic the entire time (she did, but she is only 20 months old, so I won using the seniority card). What if Heather never speaks to me again because I ruined Halloween 2009? OK, so only most of those genuine concerns came true...

We were going to head to a local pumpkin patch until we found out how much was charged for an entrance fee. I didn't think sweet-talking would work in this case, since everyone is "just trying to take a few pictures!" So we found some nice backdrops in our own yards and neighborhood. Depsite not getting Kathryn to smile once, the pictures still turned out well. I am tickled! She was a good sport but grew progressively more tired of her crazy aunt following her around with a point-and-shoot camera. Aren't her eyes beautiful? And her outfits hilarious?! I felt like I had stumbled upon a miniature petting zoo! And she got some looks from the neighbors, who no doubt are now scrambling to find outfits that can compete in cuteness for the big, spooky evening next week.

Luckily for me, my husband doesn't read my blog. So he can't use these photos as proof that I don't need a Canon Digital Rebel 12.2 MP XSi EOS SLR Camera (as seen on my wish list at Amazon). I am pretty sure it is a need at this point. Now if that lottery ticket would finally cash out! The lottery is one of those no-purchase-necessary games, right?! My fingers have been crossed for months!

Heather, thanks so much for this fun and educational opportunity. Kathryn, you can stop shaking your head at my insanity now. Micah, buy the stupid camera already!

3 comments:

  1. I can't decide which is my favorite! They are all so good. Thank you so much. You had no need to worry. I love them. I'm sure kathryn didn't mind having a crazy aunt get in her face all the time. she'll thank you one day for these awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Her lion costume reminds me of the book "Where the Wild Things Are."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such talent! Your pictures of Kathryn turned out incredible!!! Oh, and I'm still on your side about your Canon Digital Rebel XSi. I can't even begin to imagine how incredible your photos will look once you get your new camera!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...